COORG : Cradled in the cleft of verdant green valleys, caressed by the waters of Cauvery River, Coorg is a virtual paradise crowned with glorious mist cloaked hills and graced with tiny springs. Unlike most tourist spots, Coorg still retains its Old World charm with crisp air, thick tropical forests, miles of exotic spices, coffee plantations and extensive paddy fields apart from an abundance of flora and bird life. Coorg is vast area of greenery, like central part has its main town called as Madikeri or Mercara, in the west of Coorg are the tropical rain forests and mountains bordering Kerala and last but not least the southern part of Coorg we have famous wildlife sanctuary both in Karnataka and Kerala.
Madikeri : Madikeri, a picturesque , charming town situated at an elevation of over 5000 ft (1,525m) above mean sea level.
Abbi falls : Where the Madikeri stream falls from a height. 'Abbi' in Kodagu dialect means falls. The Abbi Falls were formerly called the Jessey Falls.
Tala cauvery : It is the source of the River Cauvery situated on the slopes of the Brahmagiri Hill, 4187 ft. above sea level.
Dubare elephant training camp : On the banks of Cauvery lies the Dubare elephant training camp. Great places for all age groups to experience an elephant's routine and to know more about this great animal.
Tibetan monastery : Experience Tibet by being 1000's of miles away from it - The Golden temple and its 40 ft statues of Padmasambhava, Buddha and Amitayus is a great sight to watch
Nagarhole : The Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary covers an area of 284 sq.km. with tropical and deciduous forests and belts of swampy ground at the head of small streams. It derives its name from it's snake like winding streams.
Irpu falls : This lies at the base of the Bharamgiri Range that forms the boundary between Karnataka and Kerala
Igatuppa temple : In Coorg nothing happens without Igguthappa. He is the rain god, the grain god and even controls the day of harvest festival of Coorg.
Overview & Best Season of Coorg
Coorg has an average temperature of about 15 °C all round the year.
- Summers (March to May) are pleasant with maximum temperature not crossing 28 °C. The season is liked by all kinds of tourists.
- Monsoons (June to September) offer medium rainfalls, and Coorg looks charming in rains.
- Winters (December to February) are cool days with minimum temperature above 11°C. This climate with soothe winds and mild cols is liked by many tourists.
Best season to visit Coorg is all through the year; keep a watch on heavy raining days
- October to May is ideal for sight seeing and outdoor visits.
- June to Septemebr is good for short trips and indoor activities.
Events & Festivals in Coorg
- October is blessed with grandeur celebrations of Mercara Dasara and Cauvery Sankramana celebrated with many exciting performances of dance and cultural programs. These are major draws in Coorg.